What is Webinar?
A webinar is a web-based seminar. Basically it is a seminar conducted over the internet in real time, using video conferencing software such as Zoom, Blackboard Collaborate and Adobe Connect. There are so many tools out there, but so far I have only used these three for webinars so I’d like to introduce them.
How it works?
For Zoom and Adobe Connect, you will need to download the software first. You only need a link to join a webinar if it is delivered via Blackboard Collaborate. You have to be in the conference room at the right time. This reminder seems unnecessary but the truth is, many participants forget the time and miss the webinar they want to join! I almost missed one hosted by an illustrator because I forgot the time difference. So, always mark it in your schedule or google calendar!
Benefits
- Webinars make learning more flexible and convenient. People can join it almost anywhere, as long as they have the internet. This increases the diversity of participants as people from all over the world can join the section as it is online. Such convenience also enables learners to explore different fields as they no longer need to worry about transportation. I could join a webinar hosted by an illustrator in California. This webinar was about something that I’m interested in, but not very passionate about. I wouldn’t join it even if it was a seminar held in Birmingham or Coventry, very close to where I live, simply because I was not that eager. However, it was a webinar so I joined it cosily at home and learnt a lot.
- From the university’s point of view (or the organiser of the webinar), the cost is comparatively lower as there is no need to book a room)
- Webinars are expected to be interactive as the host and attendees are in an equal position. They can type their comments and express their ideas easily.
Limitations
- Connection is always the first concern. Once participants are disconnected, they may have missed something when they are reconnected again. The problem is more serious if the host or presenter get disconnected as the webinar can only go on when they are reconnected.
- Try to imagine if the speaker wants to ask if the participants have heard of ‘fish and chips’. He or she can immediately have some chorus response if it is a seminar. This is not easy to happen in a webinar as attendees are not likely to use their microphone (everyone just turns it off all the time so as not to capture noise from the background).
- The third point mentioned in the Benefits section above is about interactivity. It is noteworthy just like using any other technology, that doing a webinar will not automatically turn the seminar into an interactive one. The parts that enable interactivity may require extra preparation compared to seminars, for example, making a PPT or a link for a poll (webinar) vs. simply ask students to raise their hands to respond. This is easily solved these days as many online conferencing tools have functions for polls.
Using online conferencing tools in Hong Kong
Those tools are very popular for online teaching. A lot of teacher conduct their lessons using those platforms. I’m thinking about introducing these tools to students so that they can use those tools to practice speaking among themselves. These meetings can be recorded and they can send it to their teachers to give feedback.
To Find out More:
1. Some feature of webinar
2. This article is about both Webinar and Blogging! They are still relevant even though they are about Chemistry, not English Language Teaching.
2. This article is about both Webinar and Blogging! They are still relevant even though they are about Chemistry, not English Language Teaching.
Did I miss something here? I think you can paste a link of the webinar you held here instead of blogs. :)
ReplyDeleteThat's a good idea but I didn't talk about the webinar tools in detail so I still have to write about it. I think Cecilia's presentation will be most relevant.
Delete